Sunday, March 17, 2013

Super Mum

I've been thinking lately about what it means to be a "Super Mum". You see, perfectionism is a tricky balance. There is no way we can be perfect at everything, but everyone is good at something. Figure out what your one or two things are and maximize them, and you too can be a Super Mum.

I think my first meeting conversations are hilarious. They follow a similar pattern. "6 kids?!! You're amazing!" "Barb, did you hear she has 6 kids?!" "You must be a super mum!" As if having the ability to procreate makes me a super mum.

My mum told me once that she would have similar conversations with people about her 12 children. She similarly would get annoyed by people assuming she must be amazing because she had so many children. She told me that she felt she hadn't necessarily chosen to have so many children, but as they came, she chose to do a good job raising them. I feel the same. I'm doing the best job I can raising my children and no, I don't always get it right and I'm not perfect at everything. I'll give you an example.

This is a bit embarrassing so bear with me. Last week, Monkey #6 got the croup. I've had the croup in my house. I have 5 boys. They all get croup when they get sick. Monkey #6 gets it pretty bad, so I'm used to it. Sometimes I'll take him outside. Sometimes I'll take him into the shower, or put a humidifier on him. That night, I was too tired to think straight, so I just put him in bed with me and Robert went off to sleep on the couch. In the morning, he was still crying and uncomfortable. He just wanted me to cuddle him. Robert suggested I take him into the doctor. Now, I am the least perceptive person when it comes to the health and safety of my children. I'm lucky to have a husband that makes up for my lack. So, I took him into the doctor who gave me medicine and told me to put him in the shower. He said if Monkey wasn't improving in a couple of hours to take him immediately to the Emergency Room.

It sounded pretty serious, and I did just what he said. It didn't take me long to realize things were not improving, so I took him to the emergency room where the doctors informed me he was at critically low oxygen absorption levels. He remained in the hospital for 2 days. I was glad that he had help when he needed it, but it worried me that I couldn't even take care of my own children and I still don't know how sick is sick enough for the hospital.

The point of this story is that; ok, I'll admit it. I am not a "Super Mum Doctor". Some women are so good at knowing what to do for their children to keep them safe and healthy. This is really important and I really am trying to do better. I am really good at teaching my children to be resilient and to take risks. There is benefit from both ways of parenting.

You can be a Super Mum at whatever you are good at. Teach your children to bake bread or pick stocks or do crafts or put together a fabulous outfit, or find deals at the op shop or clean a toilet really well. We are all Super Mums, but it is a choice. Being Super means sacrificing for another person. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you are doing something to make someone else's life better. You are super!

3 comments:

Emily McKinney said...

I think you are exceptionally super Becky. I look up to you all the time. I think my kids are better off because I just follow your advice. Your kiddos are so smart and independent, and that is a credit to you and robert's parenting. They are going to be so successful. I'm so proud of my little Ozzie niece and nephews! I hope Wyatt is doing better. Love you sis! P.S. happy belated birthday! I should have called you. I was thinking about you, I'll just have to call you later!

Susan said...

When I think of moms that teach their kids to be independent, I always think of the time I was at your house and there was Ashlee up bright and early at the tender age of seven or eight making eggs for everybody. I remember asking you about it, too and you just shrugged and said, "I've always wanted my kids to be independent." I'm definitely not super in the doctor department, either, but we can't be super at everything, or else nothing anyone else did would be super, ya know?

spunky said...

You are a super Mom! (or Mum, pending cultualisms). Its hard to do it "all"-- you are right on focusing on the things we do well, and having the rest just be okay.