Sunday, April 28, 2013

Real Life

My good friend, Moko found my blog by doing a search on the Internet about a year or so ago for Jumping Monkeys (go figure!) Anyway, she suggested I blog about the pen marks I recently found on our front room couches. These things become so commonplace at my home, I forget that they can be a source of inspiration for my Blog.

So, Wyatt has been a bit of a terror lately (can we say Terrific Twos?). The following pictures will pretty much sum it up. Love this kid!

My mom has a similar picture of my youngest brother and sister's work .

This is after we had cleaned up most of it. There were marks in every panel down the hallway as well.
I love Magic Erasers!

This is also after I had cleaned up the pen marks on the rest of the couch. I started out using hairspray (which works), but ended up using Exit. I got a free sample from the Rugby club. It works wonders! (I think it's the same stuff as Fels-Naptha)
My good friend, Lauren happened to call me while I was attacking the Sharpie walls. I was not quite composed yet. She was giddy with excitement wondering what an experienced mother would do in such a situation. I am ashamed to say that I had to tell her that I spanked his little bottom! Shocking! Why am I admitting this to all you people? In retrospect, no, this was not the right thing to do, and no, it didn't accomplish anything (although he hasn't since attempted writing on anything besides paper.) I will have to add that I was not at all out of control as I spanked him, I felt I was getting his attention and this would certainly have been devastating to some of my other children who wouldn't need more than a warning. After the initial crying, I sat down with him and hugged him and gave him a piece of paper with a crayon and told him. "You can color on paper, not on the walls or the floor or the couches." I guess I'm still learning, even after 6 kids.

A Child Who Sings is a Happy Child
So, in other news. One of the best talks, in my opinion, during the LDS April 2013 General Conference was the talk given by Elder Falabella on Sunday Afternoon, The Home: The School of Life. In one section, he said one of his wife's mottos was "A child who sings is a happy child". (This may be one of the next mottos to find it's way onto my wall) We have a very musical family. Whistling is huge around here and Ammon is constantly singing. I used to get a little, not annoyed, but a little exhausted with all the singing and whistling. Now, I will never complain again. Every time I hear Ammon singing, I think. Oh... he's happy! Thanks for that!

Getting 7-year-olds to do chores: 
Here's an idea... Ammon loves to play games. If it is not a game, it is drudgery. For this purpose, I have re-instituted a game I invented to get my younger brothers and sisters to clean up. Monster! I pretend to be asleep while they do some task for me, (practice the piano, do a chore, clean their room, leave me alone so I can write a blog...) Then, I wake up snarling and chase them all around the house until I "catch" them and pretend to eat them. They love this game and they get the work done. It didn't work for Ethan, Ashlee or Kyle, but Ammon, Aaron and Wyatt love it! Isn't it great with more kids, I can really try out everything until it works! And, I get to play Monster again (I love being this kind of Monster Mommy!)

7 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Cute post Becky. Love you ideas!!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

LOVE the ideas for getting kids to do chores! It's the most exhausting thing of being a parent!!!

Susan said...

Love your "Monster" game! Emily and I would always clean to music! First, we would pile up all the things to be put away in the middle of the room, hide behind the couch and draw a plan in the carpet as to how we would get the room clean, then start the music. We had to get everything put away and clean before the music was done or the evil witch would get us! Games are the best!

Sue // Chevron & Lace


Juli said...

I love your updates! We miss you guys!! (We love magic erasers too!)

Nicole said...

Great posts Becky! You're such a great mom. Thanks for sharing a peek into the crazy fun of family life. Love you!

PS: I haven't forgotten about your request for geneology info. I'm working on it!

Kimberly said...

I did a very similar game with my younger siblings only I think I was a sleeping bear! So Funny! We have tried that one a few times too. So sorry for all the scrubbing. My arms hurt just thinking about it!

Kim and Jim said...

Have you seen the latest post on my blog? I have pictures of Madi Messes that compare to your kitchen mess :) Fortunately, she hasn't gotten ahold of a magic marker yet...

And just so you know, sometimes spanking is what does the trick. Jim and I use it on occasion when we need to get our kids' attention. Always giving lots of love after, and never spanking out of anger or out of control. But a swat on the popo will do wonders sometimes.