Thursday, September 25, 2008
Picky Eater
I have a question. It's something I deal with every day I make a lunch for Ashlee. This morning she wanted a cookie and popcorn in her lunch. I finally got her to take some carrots, but I'm fully expecting them to come home uneaten. She wants a chocolate sandwich on white bread. She likes banana muffins, so I figured at least she'll get some potassium. Well, I tried to sneak in some whole wheat flour and wheat germ with the white flour. It didn't help. She figured it out and won't touch them now. She likes cut up apples only, but not in her lunch because they turn brown, and if I try putting lemon juice on them, she won't eat them because they taste funny. She won't eat cheese sticks, chips or crackers. She likes highly sweetened yogurt though and pudding. Maybe I should just include that so at least she gets some calcium. Sometimes she'll take cold cereal and buy milk to put in it. My only problem with that is that she has cold cereal for breakfast and after school snack. I think a little variety is in order. So, what should I do? Should I just let her have hot lunch? I don't know if she'll eat that either, though. What should I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Sab is the same way adn always has been. You can buy cut up apples in little packs at Costco and those work great for lunches. She'll let you know when she's starving and maybe then she'll try something new. Grin and bare it! It's so fun!
Hot lunch has really helped my kids try new things. Especially by watching their friends enjoy things. Its easier on me too...all my kids are picky!
Hi Becky--something that works for my grown up self is to incorporate vegetables into great tasting foods. I am talking BROWNIES made with spinach ( cannot taste it)! and there is more...I can email you some recipes: i have a whole book of them witten by an innovative mother. Your plight is not a new one. Have a great day, I miss you!
Hey! Welcome to Blogland! Cute stuff ;)
Lunches are tough over here too. Mine hate sandwiches. The will eat slices of sourdough bread and rotisserie chicken however not in a sandwich! Or peanut butter on Ritz crackers. Hmmm...maybe cream cheese and jelly sandiwich/bagel?
As far as apples go...dip them in 7-up or Sprite. It is the citric acid that keeps them from turning brown and it won't make them taste funny.
Good luck!
...Congrats on the new little sprout!
I love your blog Becky! It looks great! As for lunches, Dicie thinks hot lunch is the best thing ever. She's always excited to tell me what she ate on the one day a week I let her get lunch at school. Maybe it would work for you!
Becky, does she like ranch dressing. I've had good results sneaking grated zucchini in everything. I hear that picky eaters have more taste buds and will eventually turn into adults who can really appreciate flavors. Check out our blog too. meetthenmrobinsons.blogspot.com I just ran my first marathon last week. Congrats on the fifth monkey.
I recall another bunch of kids that ate cold cereal all the time as well and they turned out okay. In fact, they use to spoon on the sugar.
Jim
Hi Becky! Good job entering the blog world! My Austin is also really picky. I have him eat hot lunch and cross that off my list of worries. I figure he will eat if he's hungry. You really can't fight a battle you can't be present for! Austin has learned to eat two new meals (the twins have learned to eat a bunch of new things) from hot lunch so I consider that a success. Rustin just told the kids yesterday that they could have pizza for dinner every time they eat oatmeal for breakfast. I'll let you know if it works! Good luck!
Post a Comment