Friday, September 4, 2009

Happiness Is...

I've been thinking lately about what makes people happy. Sometimes I feel a little down, a little guilty that I'm not everything I should be. There are some things people think I should be, but I'm coming to realize I don't want to be that way and that's why I am the way I am. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I thought, instead of focusing on the negative today, I want to focus on positive things, so I started writing down all the things that make me happy today. Feel free to add your own happy moments.

disclaimer: There are plenty of moments when I fall short of what I should be, but I'm only listing the times when things are right with the world.


Things that make me happy:
1. Running this morning while listening to a talk Elder Uchtdorf gave about creating something beautiful and finding joy in serving.
2. Singing "Twinkle" about 20 times yesterday to Ammon in the car.
3. Watching Ammon make new friends at Preschool and bringing projects home and being so proud of them.
4. Having my kids come to me for comfort when they are hurt, sad or afraid
5. Knowing where my kids are and trusting that they are making good choices.
6. Reading a good book.
7. Having a clean bathroom.
8. Having a clean kitchen.
9. Talking to my brother about his life and feeling like he likes to be around me.
10. A husband who runs errands for me with little complaint.
11. Playing with Aaron and almost getting him to smile at me.

That's so far today. Hopefully, I'll add a few more before the day is through.

We had a combined Relief Society/Priesthood meeting on Sunday. Our High Councilman taught the lesson. It was about being your brother's keeper. It really touched my heart and made me think a lot about how I can be my brother's keeper. He told a story about when he worked for the church in some capacity. There was an award given every year to someone in the organization, named after the Prophet. He was able to accompany the winner of the award to the Church Office Building to meet with the Prophet. The winner with his family would be able to visit with the Prophet for about 15 minutes and receive their award. When President Monson became the President, things were a little different. A stake President from Idaho Falls had won the award. He brought his 6 daughters and his wife to accept the award. They were all waiting in a board room visiting when Pres. Monson walked in. They all stood and shook his hand. He was very attentive to them and especially to this brother's youngest 8-year-old daughter. After the 15 minute interview, the family was overwhelmed by his kindness and just as Pres. Monson was leaving he turned around and said, "Would you like to see my office?" Of course they thought that would be great, so he took them into his office and showed them several things in his office that were special to him and explained them to the family. As they were leaving his office, Pres. Monson said, "Would you like to see my Secretary's office?" At this, the family was overcome. The stake president, took Pres. Monson's arm and said "President Monson, we know you are so busy and have so many things to do today. We have seen so much today and we've been so blessed to have your time for so long. We can go now." They had promised Pres. Monson and his secretary that they would only take 15 minutes and the Secretary was getting a little nervous because he knew what kind of schedule the Prophet had. President Monson took this good brother by the arm and looked into his eyes and with a very serious voice said, "Brother, I know exactly what my priorities are." Pres. Monson then proceeded to show the little 8-year-old girl how to work the nutcracker outside his office that was shaped like Joseph Smith. He spent 50-60 minutes with this family that day.

This story really touched me. I wonder if I know what my priorities are?

5 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

Great list Becky! Remember to eat lots of dark chocolate! You're doing a great job!

Sally said...

Oh Becky. If there was ever a woman who had her priorities straight, it is you. Truly. I admire how you parent your children, how you manage your life, the choices and decisions you've made. You are doing great.

I loved your list and I enjoy the same things.

A friend of mine recently told me that her 30s have been different than the rest of her life in that she is really settling in to who she is and knows what she wants to be. She is much less concerned about what everyone else wants her to be. I feel the same way.

I am sad and sorry that we didn't get to see you last month! But we will hopefully be back in the winter to do some skiing. :)

Hugs to your sweet littles.

Karissa said...

Northwest? Nah, it's WAY too rainy all day every day. I'm thinking more...MIDwest :-) We'll see though. I'm loving the rain and clouds today!

Juli said...

Becky, you're my hero. Thanks for reminding me what matters. Come visit me in Australia!

Annie said...

It's always good to step back and count our blessings and our happy moments. It definitely helps put things in their proper perspective. Good joy Polyanna. The Glad Game really does work.

P.S. I'm really happy when I can run too, especially right now since I'm not able to run being on bedrest.