Friday, May 7, 2010

Back in the Blog

Just to knock everyone off their feet, I'm blogging two days in a row. I sort of stopped because I had a couple of really good friends tell me that blogs are just for moms who want to brag about their kids. I think that's most of the time true. You usually only want to put the good stuff in because that's what you want your kids to remember. But, most of us that know, know that bad stuff happens to everyone and not all children are perfect.

Take Aaron for instance...no, the little guy is perfect! (right now!) I'm sure he'll have his moments, but I sort of needed him this year to be the perfect baby. Since Robert's been gone, he's taken to waking up around 3am. Instead, of rocking him to sleep like I know I should, I'm too tired and bring him in bed with me. He lies on my chest and sucks his little thumb and falls asleep. Right now it's not too uncomfortable and I sort of need someone to snuggle up to because my bed is so big and empty :-(.

I'm a little lonely without Robert. I told him this morning when he called around 7:30am (11:30pm his time) that it's not as bad as those early pioneers who had to leave their families for missions. Those poor wives didn't have anyone and couldn't talk on the phone to their husbands for years. No wonder they practiced polygamy. They needed more women around to help.

I talked to a friend today who thinks I'm always too busy to do anything fun. I wish I didn't give people that impression. I didn't used to be that way. I still don't think I am. I'm a little shy I guess, and it's easier for me to just hang out at my house with my kids than go out. It may come as a shock to some people that I get anxiety when I think I have to talk to people. That's part of the reason why I always join book clubs. It's the place I've forced myself to get out of my comfort zone. The problem is that our book club here only has about 4 or 5 participants. I never figured out where you're supposed to go to meet friends here. Oh well! I wonder what Australia will be like.

I just finished a whole sleeve of crackers with butter. What am I thinking? I've used probably a half stick of butter. Totally negated my walk this morning. Wait a minute...that's why I workout. I think I'll have another cracker with butter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE you Becky! You ARE amazing!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I love honest to goodness blog entries. They make me feel human.

Unknown said...

Becky, getting out and talking to people has been my biggest obstacle here in Australia - especially with all of the "morning tea"s and "wine and cheese"s - it takes a great deal of effort to try and meet people I feel like I have nothing in common with at first, and then it's all down hill. It would be easy to become a hermit, and I know people here who have - and they are really missing out. You can do it.

Juli said...

Um, my name isn't Kirby. That would be my son who forgot to log out.

Kim and Jim said...

Becoming a hermit has been one of the downfalls for me to live at Aspen Grove- thankfully, the summertimes pull me out of it a bit. It's really easy to just close myself off from everyone up here. I tend to be shy in crowds as it is, too. I never would have guessed it about you, though! That's another reason why I love the Quilt Guild. I'm nowhere near the level of quilter that most of those ladies are, but it is my social outlet. That, and the family get-togethers. For that reason, I am really going to miss you guys. I feel like I have a lot in common with you, Becky, and I have really loved being able to spend more time with you and get to know you & your family better. I think Australia is going to be so amazing for you guys! But I'm really glad you are coming back, too :)
Love you!!
Kim

swissscrapper said...

I gotta say, the women who said blogs are just for moms who want to brag about their kids have it totally wrong! Most of the women I know who blog do so that family members and friends all over the world can keep up to date with what their family is doing. I think of it has combined family history/keeping in touch/scrapbooking, since I print out all my entries into book form every so often. Definitely keep blogging about whatever you want to blog about and we will definitely keep reading!