Monday, May 21, 2012

Why It's Better to Be a Mom Than to be Famous

I started a notebook for Ashlee. I wanted her to know that it is better to be a mom than to be famous. Sometimes, I feel less important than others because I'm up to my armpits in stinky (I mean really stinky) laundry. It's not very glamorous. Still, I know that doing the laundry, cooking for my family, being there when my children get home from school and tucking them in before they go to bed has to be done, so why should I be miserable doing it. Thus, the notebook. I have to look at the bright side.

So, here is my list for today:
1. Going for a run with no paparazzi after me and listening to messages of inspiration
2. Coming home to the 3-year-old helping the 1-year-old pour milk in cereal
3. The 3-year-old cleaning up the milk spill off the floor
4. Listening to the piano, clarinet and violin all being played at the same time in different locations throughout the house.
5. Noticing that the violin isn't as screechy as it used to be.
6. The clarinet isn't as squeaky
7. The piano is being played nearly in rhythm
8. Being able to get my very stubborn 6-year-old to practice piano up to my standard
9. Making the executive decision to turn around after walking down the hill to school after the 3-year-old screamed the entire way down because it's too hard to walk and then not picking him up once. He came home with a smile on his face.
10. Playing people toys for 10 minutes with the boys before jumping in the car
11. Dropping off the generous donations from church members for the Homeless Connect Event in Brisbane
12. 3-year-old making a sandwich for 1-year-old
13. 2 hours to chip away at my to do list while the kids nap
14. Making the executive decision to go to the park with the kids instead of making bread for dinner. Picked it up on the way home
15. Deciding to not be ashamed that "yes, I do bake bread and I'm not afraid to admit it"
16. Being able to persuade a bad attitude out of the 12-year-old to have Family Home Evening
17. Having a good discussion about standing up for what's right even if you have to stand alone
18. Hard is Good - motto for the day!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hooray for Becky! You're a hero in my eyes. You're famous with all the people I tell about you. But, you know, you're right. It's better to be a Mom than to be famous. The rewards are SO good.
Love,
Mom