Thursday, October 2, 2008

To Can or not to Can

So, I had the best canning experience 2 weeks ago. It was my first time. I had gone to an Enrichment Activity the night before and learned all the little secrets, so I was ready to go. While canning, I really felt like there is nothing in the world that I would want to do and that I was really good at it too. The peaches turned out perfectly and I was done with 10 jars in about 3 hours. They look really pretty too.

Well, today was not the canning experience I hoped for. These are the reasons I think it didn't turn out so well:

1. I started too late - Don't start unless you have a good 3 hours before kids come home from school (Not fun to be canning, helping with homework, refereeing, teaching piano and violin lessons at the same time)Also, the later you start, the warmer the kitchen will be. I don't know why, but I was glowing by 5:00.

2. I did too many different things - If you're going to do peaches, finish them before starting another project, like apples or something

3. I decided to make apple pie at the same time - Okay, that's pretty much a no-brainer. Who in their right mind cans and makes apple pie at the same time. So, I thought I'd multi-task domesticity.

4. I bought a stock pot to can in but couldn't find a rack to put in it, so I ended up just putting them in the pot of boiling water - Fortunately, I avoided severe scalding, but definitely not the easiest or cleanest way to can. I bought it thinking I'd go so much faster. It will fit 6 or 7 cans at a time, but it took me so long to fill them, it would have been faster and cleaner to use the Pressure Cooker like I did the first time. Also, Archimedes principle works. The more cans you put into boiling water, the higher the water will rise. My pot kept boiling over and it finally put out my gas burner, so a few of my cans never sealed.

5. I decided to make a gourmet meal of roast and baked potatoes at the same time as canning - Duh!

So, I guess I made a few mistakes this time. I learned a few lessons. I don't think I'll give up on canning. I had that good first experience after all. In the hopes that you won't repeat my foibles, I hope you will take into consideration my recommendations.

1. Use a Pressure Cooker - it only holds about 3 cans at a time, but it doesn't boil over and make a huge mess, it cooks faster, and since it will only hold 3 cans, you can be getting more cans ready while your cans are cooking.

2. Always can in the morning - then you can use the rest of the day to do your apple pie and gourmet dinner if you feel like it after canning. It's always nice to have the kitchen clean when you're done too.

3. If you're going to can more than one thing, finish one thing before starting another or consider saving some of the canning for another day.

Alright, those are my suggestions for now. I'm drowning now in domesticity. I hope you enjoy. I'm going to bed now. My kitchen is finally once again clean until my kids get up tomorrow morning that is. I love the independence. Now, if they could just clean up after themselves too...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're gonna have to teach me Becky, now that you know all the little secrets. :) I love reading your blog by the way. Have a great day!

Debbie said...

It has really been so long since I have done any canning that I'm sure that I would have to "re educate" myself, but my excuse has been that I don't live in Utah where the fruit is plentiful in the fall. Maybe next year after I find a source here that brings some down. I'll bet you are really enjoying being in Utah. It's so great to be closer to family.

Julie Ramsay said...

I've still never canned alone. I'll have to learn one day...maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Welcome to the world of blogging. How are you liking Utah? It looks like a beautiful time of year to be there. Do you mind if I add your blog to my blogroll? Have a great weekend!

Kimberly said...

I'm impressed beck! I have sworn off all extra credit right now so I didn't can a thing. I did freeze some strawberry jam. When I actually have a kitchen in tack I'll have to try your suggestions! You always have been domestic. Good job!