Friday, October 17, 2008

Traveling Salesmen groups

We just got solicited, again, by the magazine salesmen. They came by yesterday and I turned them away. My husband was around today and they hit him up. They almost got him too. Luckily, I've done a little research on these groups. They are generally black teens who say they are from inner-cities. They are generally trying to get out of the ghettos and gang problems. Sometimes they are trying to get points to get their kids back out of foster care by holding down a steady job. (That was the story today). They all have a well-rehearsed story that tugs at your heart-strings. It makes you almost want to buy from them. The fact is that most of their stories are well fabricated. The people that are getting rich off these scams are the magazine companies and the teen sales pushing companies.

The industry is riddled with exploitation of youth, mysterious deaths in van-rollovers, hiring of known felons, rapes, robbings and worse. When you are supporting these kids, you are actually supporting an immoral industry that is promoting slavery once again. There are better ways for these kids to get out of the slums.

Anyway, I just thought I’d give you something to go by, since I’m generally a pretty good sucker (or have been in the past), I’m afraid I’ve gotten pushed into these scams a few times. But NO MORE! If you’re interested in finding out more, check out this website: Magazine Scams and Rip offs

2 comments:

Tania said...

We have the same problem in South Africa...

Full House said...

I alway had a feeling about that one. Good to have it confirmed. Did your sister in law move in? How are you doing? i really do think about you quite a bit. Love ya cousin.